Once again it is early in the morning and I am not sleeping. I sure hope this cycle of sleeplessness goes away soon.
Monday was such a busy day. We had our family Christmas party with pizza. Not every year do we do pizza at Christmas, but we've done pizza at least once a year for a few years now. Jack had to go to work for a little bit in the morning, but he came home early and we left to go buy all the groceries and pizza boxes we would need for the day. We got to mom and dad's around 11:30 and started making pizza. We didn't stop until around 5. People started coming to eat around 2, so we had a few pizzas ready to go then. We ended up making about 15, which was less than we had planned, but people just didn't eat as many as we thought they would.
Dad is pretty sick from the chemo. It's hard to see him feeling so gross and looking so frail. My dad is a big strong guy and to see him stooped and feeling like bones is a difficult transition for all of us to see I think. Over all though I think he's doing rather well. He only has 2 chemo treatments left and he still has his hair. You could see it was coming out, but not in big clumps and fistfuls. He still has his eyebrows too. So maybe he won't totally loose his hair. Maybe it just waits until he's almost done before it will all come out. The hardest part is seeing how red and sore looking his eye is on that side. It just looks like it hurts and stings all the time. The side of his face is all red and sore looking as well from the radiation. I just hope it is all worth it.
Anyway, the pizza was a big success and everyone loved it.
Tuesday was an attempt to clean up and put things away. We managed to get everything but the tree put away. The Christmas towels were in the wash still so I couldn't put the ornaments away until they were done and the dryer is not drying very well, so it took all day to get them done. By the time they were finally dry, I was done dealing with it, so we'll do it today. I also got quite a bit of Christen's cross stitch done. I'm almost done with the upper spires, so that's good. We did get the rest of the house tidied up and looking fairly decent.
We'll open Spencer's mission call tonight, so I've got to get the living room put back together so we can fit a dozen people in the room. I also need to make some kind of treat to serve them...cookies probably. He has the day off, so he can help out.
It truly is amazing how quickly things are happening and changing around here. In the next 10 months Spencer will leave, Doug will get back, and Sam will get married. That's just the stuff we know about! Oh and Trevor will be a senior!! Total craziness! The thing is it's all good. I really can't complain about any of it.
I have also been coming around to Sam marrying Natayla. I don't remember how much I've written about how I feel about this, but maybe it's not such a bad thing. I do have to say that if I had my first choice, they wouldn't get married. They would find other people that make them really happy, so that other people could see how happy they are together. But, maybe she will help him learn how to deal with things head on instead of avoid and beat around the bush. He will have to be the one to take charge of things and that will be a good thing for him to learn. And maybe he can help her see that you don't have to be bossy and manipulative to get things done. I just hope she's not marrying him to get away from her family and he's not marrying her to save her. We'll have to see. But, my goal is to be supportive and helpful and make our home a good place for them to be and somewhere they want to spend time. I want her to feel accepted for who she is and that she can contribute and appreciated. It will be an interesting 9 months to say the least. And I really can see us having to do everything for the wedding, but we'll see what happens.
Well, I guess that's all for now. Hopefully sleep will come soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment