Yesterday was a good day. I got all the pj's sewed, most of the presents wrapped. The only ones that aren't done are the ones too big to wrap, Spencer's luggage and Sam's laundry basket. I also got the white stocking made. I didn't quite get it done last night, but I finished it up this morning and it is now hanging on the mantle with the others. I am quite proud of myself...I followed a sewing pattern by myself, which I have never done before. I like it so much that I've decided to make us all new stockings out of this pattern. Not this year, but I might work on them off and on throughout the year. I need to find a different material though. I made this one out of velour and although it is lovely and soft, by the time I got the whole thing put together, the layers were so thick I had to hand sew the part with the hanger, it wouldn't go through the machine. I also used a really light, thin fabric for the lining instead of the velour like the pattern called for, so that would have been much worse. So, I'll spend some time looking around before I make ours.
For today I need to tidy up the living room from all my sewing mess, clean the kitchen which I haven't done for days since I've been sewing, and get dinner for tomorrow started. I invited Chuck and his family over since Mom and Dad aren't doing anything Christmas day. We'll have the morning to get dinner ready, then church at 1 (we're only having Sacrament meeting), then we'll open presents, and have dinner at 5.
Total change of subject but I have to say it before I forget, I ran my idea of the white stocking past Jack and though he didn't jump at it, he wasn't against it. I think it will be a good thing. I'm excited to tell the kids about it. I also thought it would be a fun thing to make one for each of the kids after they are married for their first Christmas ( I might have said this before, but in case I didn't).
Today I'll be alone for most of the day since Jack opened and both boys are closing. They'll be home hopefully in time for dinner and we'll open our pj's. Sam and Natalya will be here too, so it'll be a full house and I'm grateful. I have come to a realization this morning. For me now, Christmas really will be about family. Having everyone together will be the best Christmas present. I'm a little teary thinking about tomorrow when we'll all be here and we get to Skype with Doug..it'll be like having everyone here for a few minutes. This is what fills my heart with that warm Christmas magical feeling. Maybe I'm just sleep deprived (since Trevor didn't get done with work until 1:30 this morning and I've been up since 7), but it really makes me start to cry to think of everyone home and talking together. Christmas will be the only time that will happen for the next 4 years...and really the last 4 years too. But as more of the kids are gone and out of the house it is beginning to mean more.
Well, lots to do and little time to do it in, so I'm off
Merry Christmas 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment