Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
I think I'd like to record the week or so around the wedding and Doug getting home. That was such a crazy time! The whole summer was spent getting ready. June wasn't too bad since there wasn't a whole lot we could do that early, but the things that could be done we did. I spent hours looking through the DI to find glass serving bowls and jars for centerpieces. Kate Richardson came over twice or three times to help me make tissue paper pom poms and centerpieces. That was actually fun. When we were doing the pom poms I set up a table downstairs and we did them while we watched movies and talked. We did over 60 of them over two days. Then we made 3 different kind of jars. One was more like a vase, clear with glass beads in it and tissue paper flowers...oh ya, she helped me make those too...the flowers were made with rounds of tissue paper, two holes punched in the center. Then we put a pipe cleaner up through one hole and down through the other, twisted the extra around the "stem". Then we scrunched the tissue paper up around the pipe cleaner so you couldn't see the center part, making the "petals". The were quite cute. The second jar was covered in lace. We used mod podge and covered the jar in it, wrapped the lace around the outside and tucked it around the bottom of the jar. After it dried we tied a cream/gold ribbon around the neck of the jar. (it was cream colored lace) For the third jar we wrote things on the outside of the jar like...S+N in a heart ... love .... eternity ... family....forever...8-17-12 etc. in hot glue, then we spray painted the jars purple or lilac. Her colors were gold, purple, and cream, but I thought just one color of dark purple was too much, so I added lilac to the color scheme for the luncheon. The jars were all different sizes and shapes so we mixed and matched the jars to give it a nice variation, then put all 3 on a gold charger. I borrowed the young women's battery tea lights and put them in the two smaller jars that didn't have the flowers in them. It was a lot of work getting that all ready. But that was what June was, along with girls camp.
July was spent getting the house and yard ready. I'm still not quite sure how we got through it all, but we did. Mom graciously offered the help of my family for a service project at my house that summer. I was grateful for the help and I really wanted the yard to look nice for Doug's welcome home. So, what could I have the family help with? Of course the east side parking strip has been an eye sore for many years and so that is what I chose. Trevor and I weeded and dug and weeded and weeded and weeded. We also spent many hours at Chuck's house digging rocks. I decided I wanted to do rocks around the bushes rather than bark, so we tried to get as many as we could from Chuck rather than buy them. Of course we were really happy with how many rocks we had until we started putting them out. But, I get ahead of myself. After weeding and clearing and filling up the burn pit with stuff, we laid down landscape fabric. Kim and Grandma came the Friday before and helped get that put down. Karen came a little earlier that day and helped get the rest of the weeds out. I think we went through about a thousand staples putting all that down. That parking strip doesn't look that big until you really look at it. It's 7 feet wide by 100 feet long (maybe 91 feet...but still!). Saturday Mom and Dad, Karen, Kim, and Chuck were there to help shift tons and tons of rock. It was hot and Dad made sure we took snack breaks so we didn't get sick. We still were done around noon! It was a lot of work done in a very little amount of time. It looks really good. I am so grateful for all the help we had.
Mid July also brought another amazing blessing. Karen and Baxter offered to pay to have our bathroom redone. I explained to her that it would need to be taken down to the studs for a good portion of the room and there was sub floor damage as well, but she persisted, so we went ahead and did it. It took over 3 weeks to get it done. I wasn't sure we were going to make it by the wedding/homecoming, but we did! Karen had a contractor that they have used for a couple of things that did it for us. We had to get rid of all the drywall around the tub and then he had to replace only one panel of sub floor which I was surprised it was so little. But we got rid of the trim and the floor and everything. New tub, new toilet, new sink, new mirror. We did tile on the floor and half way up the wall behind the toilet. We got a new vanity with a tall cabinet in between the sink and the toilet. We did shower doors instead of a shower curtain and a new window. We also did cultured marble for the bath surround and the sink/counter top. We painted the walls and ceiling a beautiful blue for the ocean, the tile is a gray/blue/tan tile for sand, the tub surround and counter top is a tender gray marble, and the trim is white. I wanted a beach feel to it and I think I succeeded. I also got a new light fixture and they added a fan over the toilet plus a new heating vent. I'm scared to ask how much it ended up being, but the agreement was that it would be a loan, not a gift, so we will pay them back. Karen and Rebecca Smalley came and spent a couple of days helping me paint which was wonderful. Oh and I almost forgot the best part! Well, not the best part, because the whole is wonderful, but the contractor built me a towel bar/shelf that I absolutely love. It has a shelf then under the shelf if has 3 towel hooks instead of just a plain old towel rack. I truly love it! I also was so grateful to Nancy who bought me a hurricane vase and filled it with shells from Fiji. I also have a jar of sand that I put on top of the tall cupboard with the shells. Karen bought me some new towels, blue, tan, and green (ocean/beach colors) and two pictures that we put over the toilet of shells. I still want to get 3 or 4 shadow boxes and put a star fish, a big shell, and maybe some sand or something like that in them and hang them just about the shelf. So it looks like they are almost sitting on the shelf. Then I'd like another vase full of shells to put up on top of the cupboard with the others. I keep looking but can't find exactly what I want, so it waits. In the meantime I stole the shells the boys had in their room and put them on the shelf for now.
I completely forgot that we did Trevor's room in June as well!! Sheesh...how could I forget that! That was so much work! After school got out for the summer, we emptied Trevor's room out and moved him into Spencer's room. We then stripped all the wall paper off of his walls. 3...THREE walls of wall paper! It was so not fun! Then, we painted. That was our first "girls Friday" with my sisters. We started fairly early in the day and didn't get done until after 2. Then Trevor and I spent another day touching up. Then I had this fantastic idea for his big wall. I measured out a rectangle the same size as his window in the middle of his wall. We painted the lovely blue/grey color he chose around that marked out part. The gray also went on the wall with his closet, but the inside of the closet we did white..it looks cool. Then I went and bought baseboard and framed the rectangle out. They sell magnetic paint now and so I painted the inside with magnetic paint. I was hoping for a magnetic wall that he could hang his posters and things up on, but I am sadly disappointed with the results. It's not very magnetic and it was so much money. But, it's black inside with white trim and then the gray on the wall..it looks good even it if doesn't hold things like I would like it to. I believe I will go buy sheet metal and hang it on the inside of the frame when I can deal with doing another big project. That will be more of what I was after. I also haven't put back his light switch cover and outlet covers because I want to switch it to white instead of the off white we have now.
So, the summer was huge, full of major things to do and lots of them to get done before August came. There was very little sitting around wasting time this summer!
It looks like I'll have to get to the wedding the next time. I am tired of sitting here and it is time to get dinner going and other things done!
Labels:
2012,
home improvement,
summer,
Trevor,
wedding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment