New Beginnings is finally over and I can breathe again. It feels good to have it done. The girls did a really nice job and I think the evening was a success overall. Our theme was the theme for mutual this year..."Arise and Shine Forth". We watched the video that they made with the song for the year and then one of L. Tom Perry introducing the theme. We had each of the Beehives take a part explaining the Young Women's program and Personal Progress. We decorated with lamps. We had all the girls bring their lamps from home and put them around the room on tables that had the value color tablecloths on them. We also had some luminaries in the closet that were in the value colors and we put those on the tables with the lamps and cookies. The cookies were sugar cookies with yellow and orange frosting and the theme in powdered sugar. We also told the girls they could bring something that they had done for Personal Progress to display if they wanted to. For the closing song we sang a song the girls were asked to learn for ward conference (this Sunday). We gave them each a battery operated candle to hold while we sang. I'm not sure what it looked like because I was behind them all and couldn't see, but they sounded good for the first time. We also didn't turn on any over head lights. The only light in the room was from the lamps the girls brought. It was really nice..Kate brought a couple of floor lamps to put on either side of the podium so there was plenty of light to see and read with. It was actually quite bright in there like that. The effect was nice though and it set a nice tone for the evening. It was also just the right length. We started a little after 7 and I was cleaned up and home by 8:45. It was perfect.
Now that's over I have 2 weeks to get Christen's shower going. Invitations are out and food assignments are made, now I just have to figure out decorations if any and how I'm going to get into the church that day. Maybe if there is a game that isn't too obnoxious, we'll do that. Alysa came over yesterday and we got started on the afghan so that makes me feel better about that and I'm getting close to being ready to backstitch on the cross stitch, so that's coming along nicely. We are sewing bridesmaid dresses tomorrow and hopefully we'll be able to finish those up. Thnigs are getting done and it's good.
We went shopping for Spencer last week. We got one suit, his long sleeved shirts, his slacks, socks, and belts. Yesterday we were able to go pick up his suit and slacks, it was fun to see him in them. We are now working on a date for him to go through the temple which is proving difficult. Between Sam's and Jack's schedule it is getting beyond ridiculous. It's time to get this taken care of. I'm calling the temple today and we're going to get it scheduled before I go to bed tonight. Christen is going through on the 14th, but Jack can't go then because of work, so we'll have 2 different sessions going probably in the same week for these two kids. Dumb, but the way it has to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment